Since Friday, I’ve been looking at this blog saying, “Damn it. I need to add content,” and having some issues figuring out what I’d like to write about. I mean, it’s my blog. I can write about anything I like, right? That’s the problem. Too many options. I’d like to write about the publishing industry, but I’m a far cry from an authority on the subject and can only regurgitate information from other sources.
I could prattle on and on about the painfully slow progress of writing my book. But constant updates which barely fill a sentence and don’t offer any new insights aren’t particularly interesting, are they? Best I save micro blogging for Twitter, methinks.
I could rant endlessly about the current political climate in the United States, I really could. I’m convinced politicians are trying to make my head explode there’s so much stupid going on right now. On both sides. However, this isn’t a political blog and I’m trying to keep my lovely new pseudonym non-partisan and untarnished by the vitriol that is so frequently wrapped in political diatribe.
Or, I could talk about religion, but I’m quite certain that would just lead back to politics.
I could always whine about how poor I am, how cold it’s getting, how much it’s going to cost to turn the heat back on before winter hits… And I could always beg for money. People live reading about that, right? And who wants their favorite blogger-writing-a-novel to starve and freeze to death, literally? I could even create a new PayPal account for donations. But I really don’t think anyone would donate. Times are tough and a day job doesn’t seem any nearer for me, why should anyone give me their hard-earned money?
Actual future content ideas…
• I read. A lot. In fact, I average two or three books a week if they’re interesting enough. Mostly, I read fiction of many flavors. My favorite genres tend to be paranormal, urban fantasy, epic fantasy, psychological thrillers, historical fiction, mysteries, and anything involving zombies or a good love story — But I’ll give just about anything a shot. I download thousands of free books for my Kindle (I’m poor and I like to try new authors, sue me) and sometimes pick a title at random.
So, in thinking about the need for new content on this blog, I came to the conclusion that I should start adding book reviews. Small ones, mostly. Books don’t often inspire me to write a thousand words about them, so these reviews will likely be minuscule in comparison to other book bloggers. Reviews definitely won’t become a major focus here. However, I can promise that all reviews will be completely honest.
• I’m planning to write a post about zombies. Just need to do a bit more research and make a big ol’ list of links so I can dissect the phenomenon well. The idea is to compare many and various flavors of zombies. No, I won’t give you details about mine.
• It’s PCOS Awareness Month all September long. That’s what the header image, my gravatar, and presently very teal blog are about. I’m tweeting little bits about it daily, but I’m planning at least one nice big post to help raise awareness. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is an awful disease which effects millions of women. It’s painful and, often, embarrassing and the leading cause of infertility, yet many people don’t know it exists and many doctors don’t know how to treat it. The PCOS posts will fall into the “Off topic things Paige cares about” category, and I hope they help.
• Brand new idea. Perhaps I’ll add in some author interviews too. I seem to be connecting with quite a few lately. And I do like asking random questions.
• Blog Awards – Yep, got another. But I’m going to post more real content before I accept this one.
Social Media can be overwhelming…
Specifically, Twitter. I’ve only recently started playing around with this Twitter phenomenon. It’s quite fun, but it sure is easy to waste an entire day reading tweets, replying to tweets, tweeting, retweeting, learning new acronyms and hash tags, following people, etc. Very strange, that. I have just about 100 followers now. Started my Twitter account just a few weeks ago – the same day I started this blog, in fact. And I’m already addicted.
I’ll just say this, if you’re not on Twitter, you should be. And you should stalk me too. I’m @paigenolley.
It seems I’m always planning and only sometimes acting on those plans. It’s a process. Until next time, dear readers. Now it’s time for me to get back to shredding a phone book by hand into teeny tiny confetti in my freezing little trailer.